Farty's Fortunes

Wednesday 18 July 2007

Inorganic Food

I've got food on the brain this week. And every week. Anyways, this thought bubbled up into my conciousness: What the feck is inorganic food?

To a chemist, an organic compound is, well, anything involved in biological processes. Or in English, anything living or dead. But not minerals, because they've never been alive. And not zombies, because they're undead.

Some zombies yesterday
If a zombie eats your brains, does that make your brains become inorganic? Discuss.

So if all living and dead things are, by definition, organic, then surely any food we eat must be organic. Because I don't know about you, perhaps you're an alien life-form...

An alien yesterday


...but doesn't that mean all the stuff we've been eating up until now is inorganic?
A Square Meal

Bauxite and cubic zirconia give me terrible indigestion.

6 comments:

Brom said...

Bach's Toccata and Fugue - now that's definitely organic.

Mr Farty said...

Brom - Aaaarrrghh! Wish I'd thought of that.

*note to self - post this one six months hence*

Sewmouse said...

That large orange rectangular mass reminds me rather vividly of my Aunt Mildred's jello salad.

Unknown said...

Farty, I don't give a shit whether it's organic or not. If it tastes good eat it!

Mr Farty said...

Sew - WTF is Jello? Another one for the dictionary...sigh...

John - I'm with you there!

Sewmouse said...

Oh dear Goddess... another Scot who doesn't know Jello...

Jello is a light and fruity gelatin dessert. Comes in powder form in little packets to which you add hot water, stir until disolved, then add cold water and put into the fridge. In a few hours, if you did it all correctly, you get a wiggly, jiggly fruity dessert. Some people (like Aunt Mildred) put bits of various fruits and/or veg into it.

I am a jello purist.

As for the Scots comment - about 8 years ago a sweet young man from the islands in Scotland that I met in a chatroom and I had this long discussion wherein he was determined that what I meant was "Jelly". In order to support our arguements, I sent him a box of Jello (lime) and he sent me a package of "Jelly" (strawberry).

His was a brick of what looked like compressed gummy-bear material, which melted in hot water and to which you then added cold water and made a gelatin dessert - except it was MUCH more fruity and had more "body" to it than the lighter "Jello".

Sometime (much)later a mutual friend went to visit him and brought more lime jello as well as the recipe for Jello Shooters.